Like paint, solvents are indispensable when carrying out a paint job.
As a means of dilution, solvents lower the viscosity of paint and greatly increase the ease of painting. Therefore, when people renovate, in order to achieve a better painting result, they use solvents to dilute their paint so that the painting cost can be lowered.
When choosing a solvent, you should always make sure the solvent of choice is suitable for your paint. Let’s look at the different aspects of solvents and what the safety precautions are when using this material.
The economics of solvents
Most home owners are familiar with the different brands of paint out there, but know very little about solvents.
Solvents are indispensable in a renovation, but what should you know about them?
Solvents are used along with paint, but the ratio of solvent to paint for every paint job differs. Despite that, you can be certain the amount of solvent is always less than the amount of paint in a correctly diluted paint solution.
Generally speaking, one can of paint costs about a few hundred Hong Hong dollars. But depending on the volume, brand and usage, the price can range between sixty to a thousand Hong Kong dollars.
This also applies to solvents: the price depends on the brand, quality and volume.
Compared to paint though, solvents are much cheaper. For domestic usage, the price of solvents is below a hundred Hong Kong dollars per can. For families with various renovation needs, they can use more expensive solvents accordingly.
Precautions when using solvents
Now that we know about the price of solvents, how about the safety precautions for using such a material?
- When using a solvent, it’s best to wearing protective garments like gloves and masks, so as to protect yourself from the harms of volatile chemicals. Even when you’re just passing by the construction site, always wear a mask.
- Always maintain a good ventilation when using solvents.
- Since solvents are poisonous, when using them, make sure any food substance and body parts are kept from contact with the material. If you come into direct contact with the substance, wash it off immediately. Seek medical treatment if the effects on the body are serious. Do not use solvents as a grease remover for cooking utensils or hand washing.
- Do not smoke or light a flame in places where you store solvents.
- After the end of a renovation, leave the house for a couple of month before moving in so that the volatile compounds in the air can fully dissipate.